NITES OFF, ethanol & channel 5 news

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Well if ethanol is added to boost the octane than does it not make sense that 93 octane fuel has more ethanol than 87 octane.???
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Tim, Ethanol is not there to boost the octane, but to oxygenate the fuel. The side benefit is that it does also boost the octane because the octane rating of pure alcohol is quite high. So there are other things in gas to boost the octane, alcohol just helps them add less of whatever that is.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

Here is another response from Manchester Marine fuel dock, I appreciate Mac emailing me back. Sounds like they are going to be doing the best they can not to cause problems for us boaters. Hope all fuel docks are at least as aware as Mac is. Got your message, Bill. You might also want to check out the EPA web site - they have articles specific to fiberglass fuel tanks on boats. I seem to recall that tanks built prior to the mid-1980's are really the only ones affected. Our fuel tank/system maintenance company told us yesterday that marina's pumping gas with ethanol are having to change their filters every 7-10 days or so (depending on volume), so the solvent action of the additive is cleaning their storage tanks. I mention this because even if you have newer fiberglass tanks, it sounds like you'll probably encounter some amount of the same thing. You'll probably do well to keep a couple of spare filters on board. Best of luck! Mac Bill 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

Mac Bill?
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Virginia required all gas stations to drain their tanks & clean them first, then change filters daily for the first month. In Ma. none of that was required. You can see the difference in the post I copied from thehulltruth.com. The person writing works for a Honda automotive dealership in Hyannis, Ma. ===================================================================== "jbg108 - 5/5/2006 11:50 AM I've had 6 Hondas in the shop this week all with running problems and bad gas (water). The problem seems to be that gas stations did not completely drain their tanks and alter their filter setup as they are supposed to prior to the first shipment of Ethynol fuel. We'll see how bad it is in boats for sure. All the boat yards filled the tanks before winter and it will be a while before they sell all that gas. By the time they do it will be in season and they won't have the time to do the conversion right either. Thats the issue we will be dealing with before we even look at the on going issues of condensation and desolving grime." ===================================================================== Al 1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Just had a follow up call from Kelley. She is still putting it all together, but says it will probably air on a Channel 5 eleven PM newscast next week. Al 1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Al, Thanks for the warning ! Did she tell you that if your engines konk-out from Ethanol that she'd be your Anchor ? Rick Ticket 85 SF Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

good one Rick!
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Kelley notified me that her story will air on the Fri, nite 11 PM news on Channel 5 in Boston. She didn't say but she is on the Sat. morning eye opener & it might air again on that show. I'm guessing the whole thing has probably been cut down to 2 minutes. Al 1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

Does that mean the Premier is Thursday night, my Tux is a little tight but will work in a pinch! Bill 33 FBC Ipswich, Ma. [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... a_Rose.jpg[/img]
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
Miss B
Commander
Commander

Post by Miss B »

Do they have an internet address so the rest of us can see the newscast as well?
lobsta1
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lobsta1 »

Tom, Here is an index to past stories. I assume this one will go in the list also. http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investi ... index.html Al 1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
1978 33 FBC NITES OFF
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Well who was that ? The clean Bertram man ! Al you did a great job, unfortunately I don't think Kelley did one ounce of investigating. I felt like it left the impression that the only people who need to worry are Bertram owners and outboards owners need to go buy a fuel filter. But the word is out there and more people know, so you've done your part and thanks for taking the time. Rick Ticket 85 SF Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Al, As Rick says , you did your part. Love the hat and the shave. Nice touches. Unfortunatley they edited out you mentinoning the goo that gets in the engine , so when you did say that the gas would ruin our engines, it left the viewer wondering what you were talking about. I also like the part where they say" people with fiberglass gas tanks should avoid fuel with ethanol". Maybe you could give her a call and mention that the whole point of all this was to try and find a way for everyone with fiberglass tanks to do just that....OH, I get it! We should fill up our tanks at only the marinas that have non-ethanol gas! What have we all been so concerned about? There's our solution, just avoid that gas. It shows you how far emoved from reality they are.
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

Good job Al. You looked great. Betsy thought you looked 10 years younger. I wish the reporter would've delved into the myth that ethanol will reduce our dependency on foreign oil. At least its a start. All right then, lets start avoiding that ethanol gas and we'll be all set![B)] Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... sabeth.jpg[/img]
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA