Boat Insurance

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
a300mike

Boat Insurance

Post by a300mike »

I've got current insurance with NBOA, but the rates are going up and now they have a $10000 wind deductable. Anyone have a better insurance company that will insure a 1988 Bertram. Thanks Mike
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Mike , try this thread under business/insurance http://www.bertram33.com/forum/topic.as ... =insurance Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Here is another company that is very good and well known to yacht owners and commercial captains alike. Wiseley Marine Insurance 300 1st Ave S # 500 St Petersburg, 33701 727) 522-7777 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
Brian Davin
Captain
Captain

Post by Brian Davin »

I have Allstate, and based on my recent claim, they did very well by me. I have a $1,000 deductible and my policy is less than $1,000. In fact my renewal just came and I didn't get hit with an increase (I'm pretty sure), even after my claim in the fall. Brian '90 Bertram 33' FBC Never Say Never Westbrook, CT (Homeport) Kinnelon, NJ (Home)
Brian '90 Bertram 33' FBC Yanmar 370's "Never Say Never" '70 Bertram 24' Moppie Guilford, CT (Homeport) Kinnelon, NJ (Home)
GMarty
Commander
Commander

Post by GMarty »

Brian, have you discussed how you will value your boat for insurance purposes with your insurer after the repower is complete? I want to insure it for a stated value at about $150k once its all done. I wonder if they will max out on value in terms of what they will cover or just up the premium the more value you insure? As I write this I can't help but wonder how those new engines (now in my boat) would be covered - worst case (fire etc) before I get it appraised. I be calling my insurance company in the morning!
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Doesn't the policy provide for new additions for up to 30 days or until you notify them? 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
Brian Davin
Captain
Captain

Post by Brian Davin »

George, Eddie mentioned he had an appraiser that could provide me/us with a new valuation to use with insurance company once repowered. You bring up a good point as to when we take possession though. I believe my insurance will up the premium based on value I insure for. Last winter I was going to up the value based on all the improvements I added after purchase, but just never pulled the trigger. Agent just quoted me the increase in premium to up the insured value. I better start that conversation with my agent now too! Brian '90 Bertram 33' FBC Never Say Never Westbrook, CT (Homeport) Kinnelon, NJ (Home)
Brian '90 Bertram 33' FBC Yanmar 370's "Never Say Never" '70 Bertram 24' Moppie Guilford, CT (Homeport) Kinnelon, NJ (Home)
Don33
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Don33 »

quote:Originally posted by a300mike Anyone have a better insurance company that will insure a 1988 Bertram. Thanks Mike Like Brian, I have Allstate. I've only filed one claim with them (long ago, prior boat) but they were responsive and cooperative so I've stuck with them. Rates seem reasonable to me and coverage is OK as long as I stay in the Chesapeake Bay. Might consider other coverage, however, if we were to do any out-of-area cruising.