Crashed/Totalled 33Bertram

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
CB35
Captain
Captain

Crashed/Totalled 33Bertram

Post by CB35 »

One of my buddies told me of a wrecked 33B. It seems a local guy, who I know, ran his beautful 33B into a steel channel marker. The boat has newer 3116Cats and the boat was well amintained. He has plenty of local knowledge; but decided to run at full cruise speed down the bay in the fog while on radar. He crashed about a mile from where he keeps his boat. We have three channel markers in a row and he bonged the last one. I am just glad he did not run over some poor guy crabbing in a skiff. If his radar did not see that steel ICW marker he would have probably run down the Queen Marry. Insurance says totalled. My buddy said about a thousand hours in fiberglass repair. He really crushed it. Charlie
Charlie 35 Bertram 3208 Cats
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

that is a sad sad story sounds either really drunk or really stupid or both Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

You can never have enough gain on that radar. I'm not defending him, but I also can really identify with the target not showing up. It happens and you've got to be on your toes verifying targets when first powering up. But the full speed.........he chose unwisely. Rick Ticket 85 SF Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
RJC2628
Commander
Commander

Post by RJC2628 »

I just returned from a long week end in West Palm Beach and did a lot of marina hopping (mostly the ones with bars) but saw a few 33's in tough shape. Most of the damage was where the boat meets the pilings. The pilings always win. Being in a slip with pilings in a hurricane seems to be a bad idea. Ron Callahan SCOUT 1980 Convertible
Ron Callahan
SCOUT 1980 Convertible
Boston, MA
BECCA ROSE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BECCA ROSE »

People actually cruise at full speed in a channel in a bay, in fog, by radar? Ignorance will get you every time[;)] Bill Dunlop "Rebecca Rose" 1988 FBC Ipswich, Massachusetts
Bill 1989 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's ><)))))*> ~------- Image
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

Hey Charlie, What was the boats name? Hope the guys ok. Where is he out of and where is the boat now? Mike Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image
CB35
Captain
Captain

Post by CB35 »

The boat is in a shed at Winter's. One of the guys who works there told me about it. Seems like it never made the paper. Charlie
Charlie 35 Bertram 3208 Cats
Sean B
Captain
Captain

Post by Sean B »

quote:Originally posted by BECCA ROSE People actually cruise at full speed in a channel in a bay, in fog, by radar? OH Yeah they certainly do, seen it many times Sean Burlingham "Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF Melbourne, FL SBurlingham@cfl.rr.com
"Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF 3208T Cats