Life Raft Certification

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Life Raft Certification

Post by Rick »

I trust my 33......but just in case....I carry a Switlik MD-1 raft 6 man raft. You just never know. But last year I had to pay $357 to Westerbeke to have it re-certified. I hate bringing it back this year knowing it be won't be any cheaper, even though I will. I've looked around and resources are very limited. So I thought I'd ask if anyone has found a reasonable vendor that brings this cost down to earth? I know if something catastrophic happens, $357 will seem like a bargain. But it never hurts to shop around. Thanks, Rick
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

Is the raft in a case? If so, $357 sounds like a bargain to me. They have to unpack it, certify it and repack it. If not, then, yeah, maybe you should keep looking. David Sumich Bertram33.com Forum Administrator
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

I recently had my canister life raft taken in for service, and it DOA and needs to be replaced, anyone know of a good deal on a 6-man hydrostatic release unit? 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Rick, I know west marine offers the service, have you checked the prices there? I consider my inflatable dinghy my life raft. I keep it blown up on the bow ready to be deployed at any time. I figured this to be the best option for me to save space and money to have a dual purpose vessel.Is this a no no. Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

For insurance reasons, I think the raft hast to meet some kind of Coast Guard specifications. Not sure about that, but it seems likely. David Sumich 33 Megabites Huntington Harbour, CA Forum Administrator
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

i do not think most insurance policies require a life raft i do not think mine does. Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

No life raft section in my ins policy. Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
Sean B
Captain
Captain

Post by Sean B »

Definitely not. I think they'd probably rather you drown - no one to make a claim for any losses then Sean Burlingham "Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF Melbourne, FL SBurlingham@cfl.rr.com
"Island Time" 1987 Bertram 33 SF 3208T Cats
dougl33
Admiral
Admiral

Post by dougl33 »

quote:Originally posted by Sean Burlingham I think they'd probably rather you drown - no one to make a claim for any losses then My thoughts exactly. They'd probably try and sue any family members that weren't on board with you![}:)] Regards, Doug L. 1986 33 Bertram FBC Queen Elizabeth Marblehead, MA
Regards, Doug L.
1986 33 Bertram FBC Cummins 6BTA's Queen Elizabeth
Marblehead, MA
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

Lift raft required if you charter. Have to have all saftey gear validated. Mike Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

A life rift is like insurance; you carry it, but hope you never have to use it. 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
Rick
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Rick »

Tim, I used to use my dingy for the same purpose and hey, it sure beats nothing and if there was time to get the engine on it, it would be better than a raft ! But it's a pain to keep mine up on the short SF foredeck. So I saw this raft on ebay over the winter and the rest is history. Nice knowing it's there...another thing to maintain every year. Rick Ticket 85 SF Falmouth, MA
Rick
Ticket 85 SF Merc 454 MPI's USCG 50T Masters w/ Towing Endorsement
Falmouth, MA