fire systems

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

fire systems

Post by franklyprice »

Well my insurance carrier keeps telling me that I have to have a fire suppression system in place and serviced regularly for the boat, so I thought maybe I'd actually get one and install it this spring. Any opinions out there as to what is the best system and the best place to put it?I have a couple old halon systems out in the garage but that won't work if I have to get them inspected and signed off every season. I guess I have no choice but to buy a new setup, the question is, which one? Comments are appreciated. Frank Price '87 SF "JEANNE CLIARE" Rowley,Ma
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

Frank, was the "Fireboy" system a option on these boats? I thought they all had one. Mine has a big bottle in the engine room that is piped to the lazzarette for the generator, center of engine room and down the outboard side of each engine. There are sensors and spray nozzels at each location. On deck there are emergency pull handles to set it off manually. I bet if it get's set off by accident, it would cost me 2K to refill with the new stuff. But it is quite a setup. E.W. Dugan
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

i only have 2 self contained halon bottles... Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

E.W., I don't know if a system was an option on these boats but it sounds like you have a good one.I do know that I don't have one and it looks like it never did have one, though I do have heat sensors as part of the standard alarm system for fire, engines,high bilge water ,etc.like we all have. I've heard that if you have a fire, you'd better have a tag with the date of last inspection stating that your system was seviced or you may have a problem getting the insurers to pay. I think The most common setup is the one Tim mentions and that's the way I'll end up but I'll do a cost comparison to see. Thanks for the input, guys, keep it coming. I may give Danny at High tide a call, He probably will have an easy solution. Frank Price
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

Frank, If I had to start from scratch, I would get 1 or 2 bottles for the Engine Rm. (whatever sq.ft. that is) and a separate smaller one for the Genset. I think the systems from BoatUS are as good as any. I have the handhelds all over the place too. I find it's cheaper to toss them than have them checked Home Depot is cheap enough. For my big one, I unbolt it and take it to Fire extingisher company. They just check the fittings,weigh it, and check the pressure. If my boat ever burns up. I just hope it's in deep water. E.W. Dugan
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

That's probably what I'll do. Tim, Did your boat come with the bottles or did you buy and install them? Frank Price
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

Frank, I have the Fireboy system for my engine boxes, and lots of handhelds everywhere else. If you want, I can take some pictures this weekend and post them or email them to you. David Sumich Bertram33.com Forum Administrator
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

David, If you have time, yes, I'd appreciate a pic or two. Posting them may be useful to others as well. Thanks. Frank Price
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Frank, my boat came with them.also 3 or 4 extinguishers the first thing i did was got them all inspected and tagged. Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

Tim, Like you guys, I have a bunch of old extinguishers around the boat, some better than others but certainly enough to do the job , I would think,as long as I actually knew there was something on fire. I guess I will like having an automatic system but for now it seems like a pain in the but to do what the insurance co. tells me to do. Frank Price
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

Ha, this post was in January, and here we are in July and I finally get around to it. Oh well, bet late than never I guess right? Anyway... Here is the bottle in the engine compartment: [img]http://bertram33.com/images/uploads/wea ... isher1.jpg[/img] Here is the extinguisher above the engine box: [img]http://bertram33.com/images/uploads/wea ... isher2.jpg[/img] I have the same set up for the other engine. Here is the signal lights for both Fireboys on the helm: [img]http://bertram33.com/images/uploads/wea ... isher3.jpg[/img] In addition to these, I have one in the salon and one on the bridge. David Sumich 33 Megabites Huntington Harbour, CA Forum Administrator
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator
franklyprice
Commodore
Commodore

Post by franklyprice »

David, I like that setup. I haven't done mine yet and may copy what you've done. Did you consider a larger single unit in the center of the two engines? I'd like to hear your thoughts on your decision to go with the two units. I honestly can't decide what's best. Frank Price
Frank Price
1987 SF "Jeanne Claire"
Rowley Ma
Admin
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Admin »

The decision was easy. This is the setup the boat came with! [:)] Only thing I added was the unit up on the bridge. If I had to do it again I think I would go with two though. To me, when it comes to safety, more is better. Granted more units means more that could potentially fail, but if all systems are go, I feel more comfortable with two. Like so many other things, if they are serviced regularly by a trained professional, you shouldn't have any problems (God forbid they are ever needed). David Sumich 33 Megabites Huntington Harbour, CA Forum Administrator
David Sumich
1986 SF - 33 Megabites
Huntington Harbour, CA
Forum Administrator