Insurance woes

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Sean, To answer your question, we have to offset our liability exposure with re-insurance. Yes, if we form a mutual insurance company, we would have to be licensed by the state, so banks would have to accept it. If their is a large enough interest in doing this, we can explore it further. Drop me an email.
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
Rissa
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rissa »

quote:Originally posted by Capt. Ed Sean, To answer your question, we have to offset our liability exposure with re-insurance. Yes, if we form a mutual insurance company, we would have to be licensed by the state, so banks would have to accept it. If their is a large enough interest in doing this, we can explore it further. Drop me an email. 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... xandra.jpg[/img] BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND! Capt. Ed, After seeing first hand, just how truly screwed up the boat insurance business is, I would be interested in checking into this possiblity. I have NEVER seen anything so impossible in my life. I know there are other boaters with the same woes who own other makes of boats that would probably be interested as well. Florida has got to be the worst state there is. Marissa DeWitt Ocala, FL
Marissa DeWitt Best Mate "Miss Missy" Ocala, FL 1977 33 FBC
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

Has anyone tried the Sea-Tow Quote? It is on-line. I was going to try it, but can't remember when I bought the boat or when the last survey was done. So I'll have to dig that up first. (877) 568-1672 or info@seainsure.com. Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
rnanaples
Commander
Commander

Post by rnanaples »

quote:Originally posted by photo finish Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I cant make it up there . Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... Finish.jpg[/img]
Rich Arnold 1978 FBC gasser
gskill
Commander
Commander

Post by gskill »

Well it's that time of year again. I received my quote for insurance (85K) and it is the same as last year, $2770. This year they are also requiring an out of the water survey. I am insured through TL Dallas. Over the past few years I have been told that this was the only company taking on new customers in south Florida. Boat US also gave us an outrageous quote when we were shopping a few years back. We are located in the Fort Lauderdale area. I was wondering if anyone in south Florida has found a cheaper rate and if so with which company? Gene I applied for a quote with Sea Tow. We'll see how they rank. BTW paid $5.58 for Diesel in the Bahamas a week ago. Probably $5.80 or more this week.
George Skillas 33 FBC Destiny - 1983 3208 Cats Deerfield Beach, Florida Image
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Just wanted to post a little warning about the service in the claims department of TL Dallas. I had some hurricane damage from Wilma a few years back. After submitting a claim and supporting documentation, I was jerked around beyond belief. A year and a half later, I finally had to hire a law firm to sue them for payment. They finally paid the claim and my attorney fees after 2 years of fighting. During this time they wanted me to renew, which I would not, but I was caught in a catch 22 situation. No one else would insure me without a new survey (which I couldn't get while the boat was being refit). So now the boat is 100% completed, new survey done & now I'm shopping for new insurance. I'm trying Allstate & Boat US. Although a bit more expensive, their claims are paid without incident. 1988 Sportfish Attitude Adjustment II Fort Lauderdale, FL
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
captgene
Captain
Captain

Post by captgene »

$5.58 Gag, but what I expected. I'm booked at Bluewater in June and August. No job, may as well go to the Bahamas and loaf. I still have Boat US..it's over $3K, but I'm going to go ahead and pay off the boat next week. My policy is good until Oct. I'll probably just carry a minimum liability. I have to do a lot of cutting back. Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC
Gene Dugan Boca Raton, Fl. "Nauti Marie" 1989 33 FBC 2007 8.1 Crusaders SOLD 2000 Pursuit 2870 Offshore Twin 2016 Suzuki 200s
buzzk
Captain
Captain

Post by buzzk »

Boat US was way high on my boat, I'm insured with Charter Lakes now. I haven't had a claim. But getting insurance is still hard, one company I had my boat with wouldn't renew because they were pulling out of NC. I don't see how you guys in Florida even get insurance. Between boat yards, insurance, fuel prices boating is becoming less fun. I have a dock behind my house so at least I don't have to pay for dockage. Dockage is becoming a problem in my area too. Buzz
buzzk 1988 Bertram 33 FBC Cummins 6BTA's Buzz Off Morehead City, NC
gskill
Commander
Commander

Post by gskill »

Thanks for the info. Having insurance with TL Dallas is like not having insurance at all with their high deductibles. I talked to the admiral yesterday about liability only and she was not comfortable at all. When you consider the cost of the policy and the hurricane deductible, we would be out of pocket for up to 12K if we had damage. I'm not sure it's worth it. If we could prearrange a local yard, to place it on the hard during a hurricane it would be much more cost effective however we would be exposed to a catastrophic event at all other times. I might be OK with this however as mentioned above it takes two to agree. Sea Tow would not insure the boat in S. Florida. Progressive will only insure older boats in Florida up to 20K. My broker is checking with other insurers that are now writing in Florida however it appears that I still have to get an out of the water survey. My previous surveyor yesterday quoted $10 per foot for an insurance survey. I just need someone to write up a report that satisfies the insurer not a serious survey. I had an insurance survey done a few years back for $150 however the surveyor has retired. I have to get something done this week or next as I am leaving town for an extended period.
h2ojst
Captain
Captain

Post by h2ojst »

Hi George, Try Pete Slawek @ Offshore Marine Surveyors @954-587-5879. He does insurance surveys and is very reasonable. Feel free to mention my name (whatever that's worth). 1988 Sportfish Attitude Adjustment II Fort Lauderdale, FL
Joe Tomaini
1988 Sportfish
Attitude Adjustment II
Bath, NC
gskill
Commander
Commander

Post by gskill »

Thanks Joe, I gave him a call this afternoon and he seems flexible and reasonable.