LIFE RAFTS

Use this forum to post or reply to topics related to safety or insurance like rates, training courses, safety procedures, etc.
Rissa
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rissa »

I got my abandon ship gear from http://www.lrse.com/ I shopped it well, and LRSE did have the best prices, or at least within a few dollars of anyone else. The service they give is worth any difference, imo. I got a REVERE COASTAL COMMANDER/cannister & hydrostatic release, since we do not have hypothermia concerns in Florida. They arranged it to be installed in the cradle, ready to bolt on, along with the EPIRB. So we can pick it all up at the supplier in Jacksonville, Fl. That will save us a ton of money in shipping hazardous material charges. If you guys ever decide you want to contact them, I would highly recommend asking for "Teresa", she is great. She is also a Capt. She is no "dumb blonde", she knows what she is talking about. I just cannot say enough good about her. She could have easily taken advantage of me, money on this, was not an object. Instead she sold me the cheaper REVERE COASTAL COMMANDER 6 man raft at $1699.00, because that is really all we needed. I was looking at the VIKING RESCYOU at $2,750.00. Marissa DeWitt Ocala, FL
Marissa DeWitt Best Mate "Miss Missy" Ocala, FL 1977 33 FBC
photo finish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by photo finish »

Good info! How often do you have to service it and at what cost.
Tim Stamm Photo Finish 1981 33' Bertram FBC Image
smanni
Captain
Captain

Post by smanni »

most new ones are 3 yr service intervals because they are now vaccuum sealed. the downside of that is that they charge you almost 3 times as much for the service. Their cash cow part of the business is in the servicing, but, since its safety - we pay it happily. I think my viking will cost between 500-750 to service every 3 years. I never got a straight answer - always something like "depends on expiration of flairs and other perishables" - or "depends on our costs at the time".
sbeer
Captain
Captain

Post by sbeer »

Damn vultures
Mike Lawrence 81 sportfish 33' shot'n'beer Image
Rissa
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rissa »

Break out another thousand, right? [:D] Yea it is three years on the service. Marissa DeWitt Ocala, FL
Capt. Ed
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Ed »

Rissa, That was a very choice and at a great price too. Did you get it in a canister with the hydro-static release? If not, do. In rolling and pitching seas it is not easy to inflate and throw it over board. Also if you went down fast the raft will inflate and pop to the surface. Check also that you have a boarding ladder for it. As if you are weak or injured it is hard to climb into them. I think they have displays, be sure to look it over, and get in it. Learn about it now, as when you need it is NOT the time to read a manual. Also see my link in this post about mounting it.
1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida Image BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND!
Rissa
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rissa »

quote:Originally posted by Capt. Ed Rissa, That was a very choice and at a great price too. Did you get it in a canister with the hydro-static release? If not, do. In rolling and pitching seas it is not easy to inflate and throw it over board. Also if you went down fast the raft will inflate and pop to the surface. Check also that you have a boarding ladder for it. As if you are weak or injured it is hard to climb into them. I think they have displays, be sure to look it over, and get in it. Learn about it now, as when you need it is NOT the time to read a manual. Also see my link in this post about mounting it. 1979 Bertram 33' FBC ALEXANDRA Port Richey, Florida [img]http://www.bertram33.com/photogallery/p ... xandra.jpg[/img] BERTRAM PRIDE '07 PLAN TO ATTEND! You bet Capt Ed. It is in canister and has the hydrostatic valve. I don't know where you would store a liferaft if it were not in a mounted canister. I am amazed at the small size of this thing. They sure have come along way in the past 20 years. Weighs about 80 pounds. A life raft is a "must have" if you don't want to encounter any of those "unfriendly sea creatures" the video tells you about! lol Marissa DeWitt Ocala, FL